Re: vi secure

At 01:57 PM 4/20/2008, William O. Yates wrote:
Recently started using vi macros.

When attempting to use one which accessed the external shell, got the following message:

"The ! command is not supported when the secure edit option is set."

When attempting to ":set nosecure" got:

"set: the secure option may not be turned off."

When attempting to "set nosecure" in my .exrc file, got:

set nonumber
.exrc, 44: set: the secure option may not be turned off
.exrc, 44: Ex command failed: pending commands discarded

Looking through all the man pages, vi references, tutorials, and the the oreilly vi "bible",
can't find anything...

Is "set secure" a compiled in setting?

>From FreeBSD vi man page:

-S Run with the secure edit option set, disallowing all access to
external programs.
and
secure [off]
Turns off all access to external programs.

..william.o.yates...hackware.at.tru2life.net...tru2life.info...

So you are using ! for external commands and not the like :w!

I would look at any defaults on the system that may be causing vi to run in secure mode, also check the mounted filesystem you are on is set to noexec.

-Derek

believed to be clean.

  • vi secure
    ... command is not supported when the secure edit option is set." ... When attempting to "set nosecure" in my .exrc file, ... -S Run with the secure edit option set, ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • vi secure
    ... command is not supported when the secure edit option is set." ... When attempting to "set nosecure" in my .exrc file, ... -S Run with the secure edit option set, ...
    (FreeBSD-Security)
  • Re: vi secure
    ... [sent the below message thru the freebsd-security list with no ... command is not supported when the secure edit option is set." ... What's your secure level?: ...
    (freebsd-questions)