Re: Tracking user's activity

Anjang Aki wrote:
Greetings,

I've been looking for a proper way to to track down user's activity
inside the shell as I'm helping my colleague to configure a web
hosting and shell hosting server.

Someone have referred me to this article --
http://bsdtips.utcorp.net/mediawiki/index.php/Snoop which is using
'watch' commands to view user's activity once they logged in to the
server

I found that this 'watch' utility is very useful and are able to
fulfill my needs but I can only be able to watch the activity once I'm
logging to the server at the time the users are logging in.

Is there is any way that logging user's activity can be done without a
need for me to login at the server at the same time? Perhaps the
activity can be logged into a file and I can read it later.

Or is there is any other utility I can use just to monitor user's
activity as the server is misused by a user previously and I don't
want it to happen again in the future.

Best regards,

Hello!
You can use "script filename" and start doing your stuff. The user can press CTRL-D when he's finished doing his stuff so the content can be flushed to the file.

Happy new year,
Frank

  • RE: Tracking users activity
    ... You could also just run the watch command in a screen session or even ... hosting and shell hosting server. ... logging to the server at the time the users are logging in. ...
    (FreeBSD-Security)
  • Tracking users activity
    ... hosting and shell hosting server. ... logging to the server at the time the users are logging in. ...
    (FreeBSD-Security)
  • Re: Capturing telnet data
    ... If the server has the "screen" command, ... after logging in. ... This will start a shell, and log to the file screenLog.0 ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: Why does my ssh session terminate immediately?
    ... I have the problem that my ssh session terminates immediately after ... logging in. ... What's the users' shell on the server? ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: RDP Sessions not "disconnecting"
    ... You can logon to the Console as Admin and Disconnect instead of logging off and this will leave Admin logged on to Synch Act and will leave 2 more Remote slots open. ... The other choice is to disconnect from a normal session as Admin instead of Logging off and when you connect again you will resume your session. ... server based apps - she also hits it from remote. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)