Re: ProPolice/SSP in 7.0

Hi,

On Thu, Dec 27, 2007 at 11:52:02PM +0100, Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:
Gunther Mayer <gunther.mayer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
I've known about ProPolice/SSP for a while now (from the Gentoo world)
and am aware that FreeBSD 7.0 doesn't yet support it though I know of
Jeremy Le Hen's patches (http://tataz.chchile.org/~tataz/FreeBSD/SSP/).

Wrong. FreeBSD 7 has had SSP support since May; the patch you mention
just turns it on by default. You can probably achieve the same effect
by adding -fstack-protector to CFLAGS and COPTFLAGS in make.conf.

This is mostly true. Given that stack protection requires extra
symbols from either libc or GNU libssp, it is disabled to sys/boot/
stuff and could also be disabled for /rescue. In order to compile the
kernel with SSP, it must contain the required symbols as well (the
canary and the stack smash handler).

Regards,
--
Jeremie Le Hen