Re: What about BIND 9.3.4 in FreeBSD in base system ?

On Thu, 2007-Feb-01 17:33:48 -0500, Chuck Swiger wrote:
That's OK, I wasn't soliciting advice on which platform or OS version a
given set of machines ought to run. When the number of machines one deals
with in a given environment changes from single-digit, to dozens, to
hundreds, to tens of thousands, keeping machines updated to a bug-free,
stable environment is more important than chasing features off the latest
branch.

This is a perfectly valid decision. At work, I have systems running
software (not FreeBSD) that is getting close to 10 years old for
similar reasons.

In general, support of your systems will comprise some combination of
in-house support, vendor (eg FreeBSD Project) support and 3rd-party
(eg consultant) support. Over time, this mix will change as the
vendor reduces the level of support they provide for a given software
version. You need to take this into account when making a decision to
stay at some version X: As vendor support is reduced then your in-
house and 3rd-party support effort will increase. At some point, the
cost/effort involved in staying at version X outweighs the cost of
migrating to a newer "supported" version of the software.

The FreeBSD SO has advised that 5.x will receive security updates
until 31 May 2008. This gives you 15 months to either migrate to
6.x (or 7.x) or arrange alternative security support.

--
Peter Jeremy

  • Re: Windows XP again (2016)
    ... "> XP still powers 95% of world's ATMs in January 2014 ... Microsoft extends antimalware support for XP past April 2014 ... Windows versions, I moved mostly seamlessly from the first versions ... ATM machines and point of sale terminals running on XP. ...
    (rec.outdoors.rv-travel)
  • Re: Troubleshoot OS Lock-up
    ... hardware/driver configuration but not reproducable on other machines. ... Microsoft Online Community Support ... You can send feedback directly to my manager at: ... nature are best handled working with a dedicated Microsoft Support Engineer ...
    (microsoft.public.dotnet.general)
  • Re: ZDNet Recommends Linux
    ... I also support a network of WinXP machines ... If you are happy with Fedora, you can install it and leave it for 12-18 months, and then update when you've found a stable version of the latest Fedora release. ... I am gradually adding features to FOG to improve support for linux machines. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Mainpine IQ Express: PCI-Express multi-port fax board for the free Microsoft Fax Server
    ... The IQ Express does support it. ... except that testing from one set of ports back to another ... I like the results with Brother MFC machines. ... the Microsoft Fax Service that is included with Windows XP/2003 SBS/ ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • RE: Troubleshoot OS Lock-up
    ... And the Splitter control uses a similar approach to draw the splitter (GDI ... hardware/driver configuration but not reproducable on other machines. ... Microsoft Online Community Support ... nature are best handled working with a dedicated Microsoft Support Engineer ...
    (microsoft.public.dotnet.general)