Re: Getting GELI Keys from Floppy

On Thu, 7 Sep 2006, Frank Steinborn wrote:

I could use /dev/fd0 directly but then I had to use the same key for
all 6 HDD's in the server. I got a solution by hacking /etc/rc.d/geli
- I'm just mounting the floppy there before it tries to read the key.

You could read different parts of the floppy for different keys.

Speaking of which, do the keys have any identifiable strings in them? If not, you could fill the floppy with random garbage and 'hide' the key. I'm assuming since you don't want a password you don't want the boot to require interaction so it's not that useful, but if nothing else it would help if someone got access to the floppy (remotely or by physical access).

--
Matt Piechota

  • Re: OSR5.0.7 LSIL BTLD problem
    ... Subject: OSR5.0.7 LSIL BTLD problem ... The server has an LSI Logic SCSI ... > Since modern laptops and servers DON'T come with floppy drives, ... symbios chips one them we use for tape drives use lsil. ...
    (comp.unix.sco.misc)
  • Re: Rebuilt Mirror Wont Boot
    ... I would not be able to boot from the floppy since it is not on ... I am still at square one with a server that I can boot off a floppy ... I cannot boot the server using the same boot.ini file on the C drive. ... Boot.ini should be the same on the floppy and on the hard disk. ...
  • Re: Rebuilt Mirror Wont Boot
    ... Also, from what I have read, since I am using multiple SCSI drives, and the ... I would not be able to boot from the floppy since it is not on the ... I am still at square one with a server that I can boot off a floppy yet ... I cannot boot the server using the same boot.ini file on the C drive. ...
  • Re: Installing 3rd party RAID drivers
    ... Guess I am lucky I choose to only use HP ML350 with floppy drives:) ... It's a 1U server chassis and there is no room for a floppy. ... During install, setup asks to have me press F6 to install the SIIG drivers. ... Microsoft Most Valued Professional, ...
    (microsoft.public.backoffice.smallbiz)
  • Problems with USB drive booting, installing over NFS mount
    ... I've been trying to get a server installed with FreeBSD 6.1 from either ... a USB CD or floppy, or an NFS mount for nearly a week, with no luck. ... When trying to boot from the FreeBSD install CD from a USB CD-ROM drive, ...
    (freebsd-questions)