Getting GELI Keys from Floppy

Hello,

i want to encrypt my HDD's with GELI (not the root-fs, though). I want
to do the encryption without password, just with a key. The key should
be stored in a floppy disk, and the read should be read automatically
on boot, from the floppy.

There is a problem here, because GELI initializes _before_ mounting
the disks from /etc/fstab (for obvious reasons, of course). So GELI is
not able to get the keys from the floppy and fails.

So, any hints how I could get the floppy mounted _before_ GELI tries
to initialize?

Thanks in advance,
Frank

  • Re: Getting GELI Keys from Floppy
    ... i want to encrypt my HDD's with GELI ... on boot, from the floppy. ... Are you sure you want to trust a floppy disk for your keys?? ... because GELI initializes _before_ mounting ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: Getting GELI Keys from Floppy
    ... i want to encrypt my HDD's with GELI ... on boot, from the floppy. ... Are you sure you want to trust a floppy disk for your keys?? ... because GELI initializes _before_ mounting ...
    (FreeBSD-Security)
  • Getting GELI Keys from Floppy
    ... i want to encrypt my HDD's with GELI ... on boot, from the floppy. ... because GELI initializes _before_ mounting ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: Getting GELI Keys from Floppy
    ... You want to protect your data with a key stored on the most completely and utterly unreliable form of data storage still lamentably in use? ... You'll want to then use "geli -K" to input your key material, so you'll want to make sure your device is present, and that it has the expected key filename on it. ... on boot, from the floppy. ... because GELI initializes _before_ mounting ...
    (FreeBSD-Security)
  • Re[2]: GELI - FreeBSD Full Disk Encryption
    ... GELI even properly installed has some security problems, ... linked to a FreeBSD Full Disk Encryption Howto video.. ... to do the encryption without password, ... on boot, from the floppy. ...
    (FreeBSD-Security)