Re: atheros chips dangerous?

Wesley Morgan just mooed:
I agree, the Atheros driver is fantastic. The driver may be "binary" in
some ways, but I think we got the best of both worlds. The vendor is
providing every scrap of information necessary without having to give away
trade secrets, and FreeBSD got a driver authored by a developer who is
probably one of the most qualified people in the world to work on it. I
know I go out of my way to purchase and recommend Atheros-based wireless
devices because of this.

It's not just trade secrets - it's FCC regulations, as phk alluded
to. Customers are not allowed to have the ability to configure a
device to operate outside its allowed frequency and power range.

work: dga@xxxxxxxxxx me: dga@xxxxxxxxx
Carnegie Mellon University
I do not accept unsolicited commercial email. Do not spam me.