Re: atheros chips dangerous?

In message <20060810130331.X94142@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Barkley Vowk writes:
On Thu, 10 Aug 2006, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

The Atheros driver in FreeBSD is maintained and compiled by Sam Leffler,
who has been around since BSD 4.2 in the early eighties sometimes.

I trust Sam.

I don't think that quite answers his question however. Its not so much a
matter of trusting Sam, but a matter of trusting that Sam had enough
access to the binary objects in question to have eliminated the errors in
them.

Sam compiled those binaries, he has the source code.

And it is a matter of trust.

Unless you are willing to stand up can swear that you have never
run a single line of code which you have not inspected and throught
about yourself, then you implicitly have to trust the programmer.

phk@xxxxxxxxxxx | TCP/IP since RFC 956
FreeBSD committer | BSD since 4.3-tahoe

  • Re: atheros chips dangerous?
    ... Its not so much a matter of trusting Sam, but a matter of trusting that Sam had enough access to the binary objects in question to have eliminated the errors in them. ... And it is a matter of trust. ... knowledge about the subject and since peer review is an important ...
    (FreeBSD-Security)
  • Re: atheros chips dangerous?
    ... Its not so much a matter of trusting Sam, but a matter of trusting that Sam had enough access to the binary objects in question to have eliminated the errors in them. ... And it is a matter of trust. ... knowledge about the subject and since peer review is an important ...
    (FreeBSD-Security)
  • Re: upgrade to Access 2007
    ... Database in a trusted location? ... Office Button | Access Options | Trust Center | Trust Center Settings ... I can open the 2003 app but it is extremely ...
    (microsoft.public.access.forms)
  • Re: SBS 4.0 to Win2003r2
    ... that SAM into the Win 2k3 domain by upgrading the PDC. ... can I upgrade in place the BDC to Win2003r2? ...
  • Re: My New Gig...
    ... It's a shame they're so homely looking. ... Tour dates are on their myspace and facebook pages. ... Sam S ... Any given amount of traffic flow, no matter how ...
    (rec.music.makers.percussion)