Re: Integrity checking NANOBSD images

--- Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Arming a trojan to just do 'sleep 145 ; echo "sha256 = 0248482..."'
when you thing you're running sha256 would be trivia.

But what if the trojan copies its files to the RAM disc and waits for this
sha256 binary showing up? And then, when it is there, it removes its changes on
the hard disc (those changes certainly must be in unused (formerly zeroed)
areas of the hard disc or in the (zeroed) end of certain shell scripts... Or do
I miss something?

Wasn't is usual some years ago to switch the boot disc hardware to "read only"
mode? I dont know how to do that, but my source seemed to be trustworthy
(although I never saw him - I just heard his voice...)... ;-))

A switch like on those 1.44'' floppy discs would be good...
But then software/OS updates would require physical access to the box...

-Arne

  • Re: Photdesk destroyed my ADFS partition! HELP!!!
    ... My HD starting making scratching noises when I switched ... Don't switch it on again until you have a plan in place. ... of the disc and not the disc itself. ... At least with a PC or Mac you can have EASY backups on DVD. ...
    (comp.sys.acorn.misc)
  • Re: Force middle?
    ... or away, or often right or left, and then we would switch every time ... more FM as the disc moved closer to the end zone, ... then back to FM if they were setting up sideline cuts. ... the back four playing mano a mano. ...
    (rec.sport.disc)
  • Re: external hard drive files not visible
    ... �Gparted shows the disc is empty. ... When you switch on the external HD do you hear the ... What does Photorec has anything to do with this considering that Photorec is used to recover photo-formats? ... When you are using an external USB device you need to close it correctly because closing it down correctly writes to the external any data which has not yet been written to the device; and after it has been written, a flag is set on the external device that all is OK. ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Tuesday A to Z - J
    ... The in-car stereo is amusingly complete - you can switch to the CD ... There are a few too many disk changes. ... You have to put disc 2 in to ... Multiple disk drives were the way to go, both for playing games and copying them! ...
    (uk.games.video.misc)
  • Re: Photdesk destroyed my ADFS partition! HELP!!!
    ... cases a drive that's switched off will not deteriorate, ... I have rescued drives with it before. ... of the disc and not the disc itself. ... At least with a PC or Mac you can have EASY backups on DVD. ...
    (comp.sys.acorn.misc)