Re: Looking for tor users experiencing crashes

On Fri, 28 Apr 2006, John Pettitt wrote:

I've had an informal, third or fourth hand report of kernel instability when running Tor under load on unidentified versions of FreeBSD. Obviously, this is a bit vague as bug reports go, but I'm interested in seeing if anyone has had real experience with this happening, and might be interested in helping to track it down. If there are kernel crashes, I'm specifically looking for information on what version of FreeBSD is being used, a panic message / trap message, DDB stack trace, etc. I'm assuming it's likely a networking related bug, which I'm happy to work on fixing. If it's not network-related, I can certainly try to track someone down who could work on it.

For what it's worth I had tor running on my 5.3 co-lo box for about 200 days without a problem (had to reboot for a kernel reboot after 400+ days of uptime)

This is a useful report -- so far I've had about a half dozen reports of absolutely no problems at all on various versions of FreeBSD, and no reports of crashes. Maybe this is a false alarm, or maybe it was a bug in a specific version of FreeBSD. Or maybe it just requires very special circumstances. I'll continue to keep an eye out, and please let me know if you run into a problem.

Robert N M Watson

  • Re: What do you dislike about OSX?
    ... is is when you claim that OS X is derivative of FreeBSD. ... about *other people* not needing to have all windows visible at all times. ... Most end users don't even know the bug exists. ... offer reasons for me to change my mind. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)
  • RE: Anthonys drive issues.Re: ssh password delay
    ... The dmesg you sent indicated that the 2 disks were negotiating at ... > possible cause in the universe before blaming it on FreeBSD. ... to take the risk of it being hardware, ... believe is that it's a bug in the FreeBSD driver. ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: Support for 5.x (Was: Re: What about BIND 9.3.4 in FreeBSD in base system ?)
    ... Handling other people's send-pr bug input would be boring ... I've filed some send-pr diffs years back & not seen action, ... so if the FreeBSD Foundation ever has spare ...
    (FreeBSD-Security)
  • Re: Do we need this junk?
    ... I have an 1742A if any developer needs it for bug chasing. ... It's a full length card. ... To counter Nikolas' `stats' argument to abandon much hardware support: ... There's scanners with FreeBSD embedded inside: ...
    (freebsd-current)
  • cvs-src summary for November 8-15
    ... It is intended to help the FreeBSD community keep up with the fast-paced ... You can get old summaries, and an HTML version of this one, at ... sf driver gets polling and ALTQ support ... Xin Li committed a fix to pppd, the PPP daemon, to a bug ...
    (freebsd-current)