Re: cvs commit: src/sys/amd64/amd64 mp_machdep.c src/sys/i386/i386 mp_machdep.c

Stefan Bethke wrote:
Am 24.04.2006 um 23:17 schrieb Colin Percival:
FreeBSD src repository

Modified files:
sys/amd64/amd64 mp_machdep.c
sys/i386/i386 mp_machdep.c

I do not pretend to understand the background, but from your description
it sounds like performance on Core Duo machines will be bad unless this
change is made, or the potentially dangerous sysctl is active. If that
is indeed the case, will this change make it into 6.1?

I'm not part of the release engineering team, but I think they're hoping
to merge this before the release, yes.

If anyone has a Core Duo system running -CURRENT and can tell me what
# sysctl machdep.hyperthreading_allowed
# sysctl machdep.hlt_cpus
says before and after this change, it would probably speed up the process
of merging this into other branches.

Colin Percival

  • Re: Lion Core2Duo only
    ... I think the issue is that the Core Duo machines (and Core Solo) should ... appeared to be rushed to market. ... I get the feeling Apple would like to sweep all the Core Duo and Core ...
    (uk.comp.sys.mac)
  • Re: Lion Core2Duo only
    ... I think the issue is that the Core Duo machines (and Core Solo) should ... appeared to be rushed to market. ... I get the feeling Apple would like to sweep all the Core Duo and Core ...
    (uk.comp.sys.mac)
  • Re: Worth waiting for Core Duo?
    ... I just checked Dell's site and Core Duo machines start at under ... Unless you are talking about Core 2 Duo which are only in desktops ... millisecond faster, then I probably won't notice the difference. ...
    (alt.sys.pc-clone.dell)