Re: Need urgent help regarding security

From: Marian Hettwer (MH_at_kernel32.de)
Date: 11/21/05

    Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 11:10:07 +0100
    To: Bitbucket <bitbuvket@dannysplace.net>

    Hej there,

    Bitbucket wrote:

    > I agree that this is not good security. It does NOT make your system more
    > secure.
    ack :)

    > But I stop should of saying it should not be done as I can see no
    > detremental effect to changing the port number. If it makes you sleep
    > better at night then do it. It cannot hurt. Just dont RELY on it.

    Well, it wouldn't make me sleep better at nights, since I know that
    there's an unpatched sshd out there. And even if it would be on another
    port, a non-Script-Kiddy could break in easily.

    Apart from avoiding security by obscurity, you're right, you can do it.

    If I'm responsible for several dozen of boxes out there, I still
    couldn't sleep at night, even though the sshd might be on another port
    than 22 :)

    Perhaps it winds down to: Do it on your private box, don't do it "at
    work" :)

    regards,
    Marian