Need urgent help regarding security

From: Mark Jayson Alvarez (jay2xra_at_yahoo.com)
Date: 11/17/05

    Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 17:25:52 -0800 (PST)
    To: freebsd-security@freebsd.org

    Good Day!

    I think we have a serious problem. One of our old
    server running FreeBSD 4.9 have been compromised and
    is now connected to an ircd server..
    195.204.1.132.6667 ESTABLISHED

    However, we still haven't brought the server down in
    an attempt to track the intruder down. Right now we
    are clueless as to what we need to do..
    Most of our servers are running legacy operating
    systems(old versions mostly freebsd) Also, that
    particular server is running - ProFTPD Version 1.2.4
    which someone have suggested to have a known
    vulnerability..

    I really need all the help I can get as the
    administration of those servers where just transferred
    to us by former admins. The server is used for ftp.

    Thanks..

    • Serial ATA Errors
      ... I started seeing some ata errors on a server running FreeBSD 5.4-STABLE ... Timecounter "ACPI-fast" frequency 3579545 Hz quality 1000 ... <ACPI PCI bus> on pcib0 ...
      (freebsd-stable)
    • Applying FreeBSD-SA-09:07 broke PAM on 7.0
      ... Finally I managed to find some time to apply the libc update to our server running FreeBSD 7.0 i386. ... I applied the patch as described in the section titled "To patch your present system:" of the advisory. ... I didn't notice any errors during the entire process, but after it was complete I could no longer log in, either via ssh or locally on the server console. ...
      (freebsd-questions)
    • Unsolicited NFS notification causing panic?
      ... I've been trying to debug a server running FreeBSD 7.2-RELEASE/amd64 that's hanging intermittently or rebooting without much luck. ... The machine hosts the home directories for the users over NFS. ...
      (freebsd-questions)
    • Re: RELENG 6.1/AMD64 system hangs when SMP enabled
      ... I have a dual opteron server running freebsd 6.1/amd64 updated 4 weeks ago. ... to complete) the server sometimes hangs. ... Mostly there are no error messages or anything so I have no clue to what ...
      (freebsd-stable)
    • Re: FreeBSD + Samba + OpenLDAP + iSCSI +Netapp , anyone ?
      ... A server running FreeBSD and supporting Samba server software with OpenLDAP ... iSCSI isn't hard to add into it, but I've never heard or ran Netapp. ...
      (freebsd-questions)