Re: Is it feasible to cross-build compat5x binary?

From: Ruslan Ermilov (ru_at_FreeBSD.org)
Date: 10/27/05

    Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 22:49:07 +0300
    To: Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>

    On Tue, Oct 25, 2005 at 01:09:35PM -0400, Kris Kennaway wrote:
    > On Tue, Oct 25, 2005 at 02:47:57AM +0200, Jeremie Le Hen wrote:
    > > Hi Peter and others,
    > >
    > > > At some stage, we need to validate our cross-build chain with cmp(1).
    > > > We can probably leverage off the work that NetBSD has done in this
    > > > area. This would significantly simplify the work involved in supporting
    > > > the various architectures.
    > >
    > > in case you know enough about NetBSD's build.sh, can you say if FreeBSD's
    > > build architecture is powerful enough to merely use it with a few s///
    > > or does it still lack one or more things ?

    It depends on what's your FreeBSD and NetBSD versions are. If both
    are HEADs of CVS, I only had to add freebsd-7 and

    -x86_64-*-freebsd*)
    +amd64-*-freebsd* | x86_64-*-freebsd*)

    support into two files in the NetBSD distribution of gcc to make it
    compile, but other than that it works (I use my 7-current amd64 box
    dailyto cross-build NetBSD-current for a MIPS-based SoC).

    > I expect it's pretty different. ru@ did a lot of work on
    > cross-building FreeBSD though, and he had a fairly detailed list
    > of known differences between cross-built and native builds. I'm not
    > sure if he reduced it to 0 length.

    I'm sure I reported it to the current@ list a while back. I've
    been able to reduce it to the length of 1, and for some time now,
    I use my fastest box (amd64) to cross-build and cross-install
    worlds and kernels for other architecture machines in my home
    network (i386, alpha, and until recently sparc64).

    Cheers,

    --
    Ruslan Ermilov
    ru@FreeBSD.org

    • Re: Is it feasible to cross-build compat5x binary?
      ... NetBSD build.sh runs great on FreeBSD, ... I know that cross builds for i386 from amd64 work well enough. ...
      (FreeBSD-Security)
    • The case for FreeBSD
      ... There has been a lot of recent talk and advocacy for NetBSD 2.0 from the ... their claims and much of their criticisms of FreeBSD. ... network stack in a transparent and quick fashion. ... support available in an open source operating system. ...
      (freebsd-current)
    • Re: Quick way to trigger fatal bug in CMU Common Lisp 19c and 19f
      ... This code works fine in 19f on NetBSD, ... What makes you think that NetBSD is likely to derive from FreeBSD? ... list of all my GeoCities files, ... my new shell account (which has about 100 MB disk space unused at ...
      (comp.lang.lisp)
    • Re: The case for FreeBSD
      ... And what about linux 2.6 vs FreeBSD? ... > There has been a lot of recent talk and advocacy for NetBSD 2.0 from the ... A team of FreeBSD developers works closely ... > support available in an open source operating system. ...
      (freebsd-current)
    • Re: The case for FreeBSD
      ... As the old saying goes, FreeBSD is about performance, NetBSD ... and OpenBSD is about security. ... Yes, the issue of advocacy. ...
      (freebsd-current)