Re: Is it feasible to cross-build compat5x binary?

From: M. Warner Losh (imp_at_bsdimp.com)
Date: 10/26/05

    Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 23:23:23 -0600 (MDT)
    To: kris@obsecurity.org

    In message: <20051025170934.GA29561@xor.obsecurity.org>
                Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org> writes:
    : On Tue, Oct 25, 2005 at 02:47:57AM +0200, Jeremie Le Hen wrote:
    : > Hi Peter and others,
    : >
    : > > At some stage, we need to validate our cross-build chain with cmp(1).
    : > > We can probably leverage off the work that NetBSD has done in this
    : > > area. This would significantly simplify the work involved in supporting
    : > > the various architectures.
    : >
    : > in case you know enough about NetBSD's build.sh, can you say if FreeBSD's
    : > build architecture is powerful enough to merely use it with a few s///
    : > or does it still lack one or more things ?
    :
    : I expect it's pretty different. ru@ did a lot of work on
    : cross-building FreeBSD though, and he had a fairly detailed list
    : of known differences between cross-built and native builds. I'm not
    : sure if he reduced it to 0 length.

    NetBSD build.sh runs great on FreeBSD, when building NetBSD sources
    that is :-).

    I know that cross builds for i386 from amd64 work well enough.
    However, we[*] was unable to get a full cross build for i386 world
    seutp on my amd64 machine when last I tried.

    Warner

    [*] tried to setup a dual amd64 box as our build server for our
    embedded FreeBSD/i386 product. It was quite a bit more complicated
    than just a normal cross build, but there were many issues that our
    (both FreeBSD and our company's) build system paper over for a few
    edge cases that seem to not matter...

    • Re: Is it feasible to cross-build compat5x binary?
      ... It depends on what's your FreeBSD and NetBSD versions are. ... I use my fastest box (amd64) to cross-build and cross-install ...
      (FreeBSD-Security)
    • Re: bootstrapping gnat GCC on amd64
      ... You can do a cross build of all FreeBSD - I ... think you just set TARGET="amd64" to build amd64 from ... a different arch. ...
      (freebsd-hackers)
    • The case for FreeBSD
      ... There has been a lot of recent talk and advocacy for NetBSD 2.0 from the ... their claims and much of their criticisms of FreeBSD. ... network stack in a transparent and quick fashion. ... support available in an open source operating system. ...
      (freebsd-current)
    • Re: Quick way to trigger fatal bug in CMU Common Lisp 19c and 19f
      ... This code works fine in 19f on NetBSD, ... What makes you think that NetBSD is likely to derive from FreeBSD? ... list of all my GeoCities files, ... my new shell account (which has about 100 MB disk space unused at ...
      (comp.lang.lisp)
    • Re: The case for FreeBSD
      ... As the old saying goes, FreeBSD is about performance, NetBSD ... and OpenBSD is about security. ... Yes, the issue of advocacy. ...
      (freebsd-current)