Re: ee using 99% cpu after user ssh session terminates abnormaly

From: Nate Nielsen (nielsen-list_at_memberwebs.com)
Date: 09/08/05

    To: talonz <talonz@gmail.com>
    Date: Thu,  8 Sep 2005 00:18:36 +0000 (GMT)

    talonz wrote:
    > Recently i have been using a dialup 56k account to access the net
    > and have noticed that when my ssh session times out and I am editing
    > a file in ` ee ' the system goes to 99% cpu usage and stays like
    > this till the pid is killed.
    > This is a standard user account (not root/su)

    This happens all the time on servers I manage. It's a real pain because
    it's hard to see the actual load of the machine. We have a dumb hack of
    a script that kill these off when they happen.

    > Would a user be able to create a denial of service condition
    > on the remote system using this bug?

    Don't think so, unless there's a process getting starved somewhere, in
    which case the DOS would be basically impossible to prevent.

    Cheers,
    Nate