Re: ee using 99% cpu after user ssh session terminates abnormaly

From: Nate Nielsen (nielsen-list_at_memberwebs.com)
Date: 09/08/05

    To: talonz <talonz@gmail.com>
    Date: Thu,  8 Sep 2005 00:18:36 +0000 (GMT)

    talonz wrote:
    > Recently i have been using a dialup 56k account to access the net
    > and have noticed that when my ssh session times out and I am editing
    > a file in ` ee ' the system goes to 99% cpu usage and stays like
    > this till the pid is killed.
    > This is a standard user account (not root/su)

    This happens all the time on servers I manage. It's a real pain because
    it's hard to see the actual load of the machine. We have a dumb hack of
    a script that kill these off when they happen.

    > Would a user be able to create a denial of service condition
    > on the remote system using this bug?

    Don't think so, unless there's a process getting starved somewhere, in
    which case the DOS would be basically impossible to prevent.

    Cheers,
    Nate

    • Re: ee using 99% cpu after user ssh session terminates abnormaly
      ... > talonz wrote: ... >>Recently i have been using a dialup 56k account to access the net ... >>and have noticed that when my ssh session times out and I am editing ...
      (FreeBSD-Security)
    • Re: [SLE] OT: Posting from another unsubscribed address for a subscriber?
      ... I have a Tiscali dialup account that includes a single email address on their ... an smtp that does relay has to authenticate. ...
      (SuSE)
    • Re: Any options to high monthly cell/pda bills?
      ... Mo doesn't act as a provider- you need to bring your own dialup ISP to the ... specific to your broadband account... ... Switch Data" is- no CSD feature provisioned on the account means no dialup, ... Page Plus Cellular that resells Verizon service ...
      (microsoft.public.pocketpc)
    • Re: Help finding new ISP
      ... and until recently were dialup only. ... If you're using Verizon's National Access then Verizon is your ... Get yourself a free gmail account from Google (just ask and I'll email you an ... only allows a single connection from your news reader. ...
      (rec.outdoors.rv-travel)
    • Re: [ad] Anyone for Broadband? - Wytches.net is up and running!
      ... on signup the server assigns you ... The Dialup User Name and DialUp Password, along with the DialUp Number, is ... used to configure your new connection on your computer. ... The Email Account User Name and Email ...
      (uk.religion.pagan)