Re: encrypting existing partitions/disks

From: Ozgur Ozdemircili (
Date: 07/29/05

    To: "Ronnel P. Maglasang" <>, "freebsd-geom" <>, "freebsd-security" <>
    Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 09:18:23 +0300

    Did you check out
    tml ?
    It clearly explains everything.
    Ozgur Ozdemircili

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: "Ronnel P. Maglasang" <>
    To: "freebsd-geom" <>; "freebsd-security"
    Sent: Friday, July 29, 2005 3:52 AM
    Subject: encrypting existing partitions/disks

    > Hello,
    > Has anyone wrote a how-to or a guick guide on how
    > to encrypt an existing partition/disk using gbde?
    > I've tried to search in the net but i cudn't find
    > any. Is it possible to just move the existing data
    > on my disk, cleanup the disk and encrypt using gbde,
    > attach to the system, then move back the data to the now
    > encrypted disk.
    > Thanks,
    > - ronnel

    • Re: Make fully encrypted disk without LVM during install
      ... If you only encrypt the disk, the default (at least on the squeeze ... perfectly fine system on a fully encrypted disk using LVM. ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    • Re: Is my idea can be implement?
      ... Not every sectors on the disk will be encrypted with my "WDE", such as the first cylinder of the disk which contain the MBR; ... The INT13 filter is implement reading and writting sectors in secure mode, and PCI's functions is to implement the driving of PCI card to do the encrypt and decrypt operations, these function will be called by my INT13 filter. ... The PCI driver will drive my PCI crypto card, and disk filter driver do the reading and writting disk sectors in a secure mode, they will "use" PCI device to do the encrypt and decrypt operations through PCI driver. ...
    • Re: GJournal (hopefully) final patches.
      ... For a couple of my smaller filesystems I reduced it to ... It seems like a reasonably modern controller and disk, ... The geom stack on my laptop currently looks something like this: ... rather than encrypt the journal). ...
    • Re: Lion letdowns
      ... Lion fixes a longtime gap in Mac OS X by letting you encrypt entire ... What you can't do is encrypt an external disk after the fact -- just the ... startup disk at any point, why not be able to encrypt any disk after the ...
    • Re: encrypting disks
      ... What you'll get in disk encription is a partition ecryption with ... Otherwise if you don't wanna encrypt everything, ... there has almost always been an option at the disk ... Installing F19 on my shiny new Dell XPS13 which came with Ubuntu ...