Re: [ronvdaal@zarathustra.linux666.com: Possible security issue with FreeBSD 5.4 jailing and BPF]

From: Simon L. Nielsen (simon_at_FreeBSD.org)
Date: 07/14/05

    Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 18:52:51 +0200
    To: Avleen Vig <lists-freebsd@silverwraith.com>

    On 2005.07.14 09:26:56 -0700, Avleen Vig wrote:
    > This message was sent to bugtraq today:

    Please see the thread on full-disclosure as to why this is not an
    issue.

    http://lists.grok.org.uk/pipermail/full-disclosure/2005-July/035036.html

    Unfortunately the poster sent separate mails to full-disclosure and
    bugtraq, so the followups where only set to full-disclosure (since we
    saw the mail first there).

    > While playing around with FreeBSD 5.4 and jailing I discovered that it was
    > possible to put an ethernet interface into promiscious mode from within the
    > jailed environment, allowing a packetsniffer to gather data not meant for
    > the jailed box. This also affects FreeBSD 5.3 (tested) but not FreeBSD 4.x
    > This can be reproduced on boxes where BPF support is enabled in the kernel
    > and a BPF device is available in the jail (badly configured devfs/no rules)
    [...]

    --
    Simon L. Nielsen

    • [Full-disclosure] Did people power get rid of Gadi Evron from Full-Disclosure?
      ... Did people power get rid of Gadi Evron from Full-Disclosure? ... The security researcher and robot network expert from Israel hasn't been ... his comments cross posted between Full-Disclosure and the moderated Bugtraq ...
      (Full-Disclosure)
    • Re: [Full-Disclosure] OT but related.
      ... does anyone subscribe to full-disclosure BUT NOT ... Is there any material that currently appears on bugtraq that ... along anything that misses this list takes care of bridging that gap. ... </tongue in cheek> ...
      (Full-Disclosure)
    • Re: [Full-disclosure] Fwd: FD culture!?
      ... What's John Cartwright got to do with an unmoderated mailing list? ... interested in partially moderating an unmoderated mailing list. ... with Bugtraq there is a paranoia that stuff isn't ... solution and that Full-Disclosure is the solution, ...
      (Full-Disclosure)
    • Re: [Full-disclosure] Call for moderation
      ... did I'd be looking at bugtraq right now. ... > Full-Disclosure - We believe in it. ... Hosted and sponsored by Secunia - http://secunia.com/ ... Charter: http://lists.grok.org.uk/full-disclosure-charter.html ...
      (Full-Disclosure)
    • Re: [Full-Disclosure] OT but related.
      ... does anyone subscribe to full-disclosure BUT NOT ... Is there any material that currently appears on bugtraq that ... > than a useful forum to particpate in. ... -- /* "To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind this is the teaching of the Buddhas." ...
      (Full-Disclosure)