Re: Information disclosure?

From: Jesper Wallin (jesper_at_hackunite.net)
Date: 04/22/05

    Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 06:21:49 +0200
    To: Pat Maddox <pergesu@gmail.com>

    Heh, that sounds more like a ugly hack than a solution if you ask me.

    Pat Maddox wrote:

    >No, it's not meant to clear the buffer. If you need to clear the
    >buffer, just cat a really, really long file.
    >

    >On 4/21/05, Jesper Wallin <jesper@hackunite.net> wrote:
    >

    >>Hello,
    >>
    >>For some reason, I thought little about the "clear" command today..
    >>Let's say a privileged user (root) logs on, edit a sensitive file (e.g,
    >>a file containing a password, running vipw, etc) .. then runs clear and
    >>logout. Then anyone can press the scroll-lock command, scroll back up
    >>and read the sensitive information.. Isn't "clear" ment to clear the
    >>backbuffer instead of printing a full screen of returns? If it does, I'm
    >>not sure how that would effect a user running "clear" on a pty (telnet,
    >>sshd, screen, etc) ..
    >>
    >>Best regards,
    >>Jesper Wallin

    • Re: Information disclosure?
      ... Pat Maddox wrote: ... | buffer, just cat a really, really long file. ... To unsubscribe, ...
      (FreeBSD-Security)
    • Re: Information disclosure?
      ... >Pat Maddox wrote: ... >>buffer, just cat a really, really long file. ... > Heh, that sounds more like a ugly hack than a solution if you ask me. ...
      (FreeBSD-Security)
    • Re: filename and pipes and *
      ... > passing the output to the sed command. ... It is not a matter of memory but of the buffer used to temporarily hold ... Would you want cat to behave by always reading in the entire file before ...
      (comp.unix.shell)
    • Re: Pipes, cat buffer size
      ... suppose this is because cat writes in 64 kB blocks. ... buffer enough data for it. ... decouples how the reader and the writer interact. ... I believe patching cat to bring its block size into the century of the ...
      (freebsd-hackers)
    • Re: strace on cat /proc/my_file gives results by calling read twice why?
      ... > return that many) and a second time, when it tries to read more ... > reasons, reaching EOF only being one of them. ... > 'cat' or into a function it uses to read from the file. ... > use some buffer for reading, so 4096 is probably a choice someone ...
      (comp.os.linux.development.system)