Re: Will 5.4 be an "Extended Life" release?

From: Colin Percival (cperciva_at_freebsd.org)
Date: 04/18/05

    Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2005 20:22:51 -0700
    To: Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>

    Brett Glass wrote:
    > At 07:42 PM 4/17/2005, Colin Percival wrote:
    >>FreeBSD 4.11 will be supported until at least January 2007.
    >
    > Any chance of a 4.12, incorporating some of the last bits
    > that have been brought into 4-STABLE...

    Unless someone wants to step forward with an offer to pay the
    salaries of the release engineering team for a few months, I
    think that a safe answer to this question is "no".

    > especially the
    > security fixes?

    Eh? If the important part is the security fixes, why not just
    install 4.11 and then apply the security fixes?

    Colin Percival

    • Re: Will 5.4 be an "Extended Life" release?
      ... Any chance of a 4.12, incorporating some of the last bits ... CPUs. ... a standard feature in wide screen multimedia laptops. ...
      (FreeBSD-Security)
    • Re: How reliable/trustworthy/accurate is Windows/Microsoft Update?
      ... security fixes, but I'm also not an involuntary ... beta tester. ... to acccept taking a chance. ... but problems are certainly not uncommon. ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
    • Re: whats up with all the attitude
      ... but I do like security fixes and the ... like, and I don't have twenty hours to compile Java, OOo or ... Not a real woodoo, but makes you ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
      (Debian-User)
    • Re: Release Cycle
      ... Either Debian has to support more releases simultaneously or releases fall out of support more often and the users are forced to upgrade if they want to continue to receive security fixes. ... My situation is that I'm having to patch some packages manually (kernel, gnu-fdisk, gthumb) because the fixes haven't entered unstable yet. ... of the 3 patches are for bugs reported before the Lenny freeze. ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx with a subject of "unsubscribe". ...
      (Debian-User)
    • RE: faq on choosing a debian distribution - draft 1
      ... There are known exploits (buffer overflows, ... Joe writes: ... Stable gets backported security fixes very promptly. ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org ...
      (Debian-User)