Re: Will 5.4 be an "Extended Life" release?

From: Colin Percival (cperciva_at_freebsd.org)
Date: 04/18/05

    Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2005 18:21:32 -0700
    To: Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>

    Brett Glass wrote:
    > So, I am wondering if I should stick with 4.11, favoring fast single
    > CPUs over multiprocessor systems, for production machines -- and then
    > jump to 6.0 when it's released. Will security fixes be available long
    > enough for me to do this if need be?

    My personal recommendation is to move to 5.x now; but to answer your
    question: Yes. FreeBSD 4.11 is supported until January 2007, and the
    latest plans (that I've heard, at least) have FreeBSD 6.0 coming out
    some time in late 2005.

    Colin Percival

    • Re: Security Announcements & Incremental Patches
      ... >> There is a difference between security fixes and a 'more low-key and ... >> conservative set of changes intended for our next mainstream release'. ... > generating production server for example. ... > FreeBSD community has to make the choice: ...
      (FreeBSD-Security)
    • Re: Security Announcements & Incremental Patches
      ... > There is a difference between security fixes and a 'more low-key and ... > conservative set of changes intended for our next mainstream release'. ... generating production server for example. ... FreeBSD community has to make the choice: ...
      (FreeBSD-Security)
    • Re: ARRRRGH! Guys, whos breaking -STABLEs GMIRROR code?!
      ... "STABLE" means "you can update FreeBSD along this branch without needing ... can ship binary drivers for their hardware and say "this driver will work ... This is completely stable and only tracks security fixes. ...
      (freebsd-stable)
    • Re: Do we need this junk?
      ... FreeBSD! ... systems are a static non moving target ??? ... Julian Elischer wrote "we". ... "This is why we provide errata / security fixes. ...
      (freebsd-current)
    • Re: upgrading to a specified version?
      ... release) + security fixes + bug fixes or small backports from the ... although this is not very likely for FreeBSD 4 anymore. ...
      (freebsd-questions)