Re: Will 5.4 be an "Extended Life" release?

From: Brett Glass (brett_at_lariat.org)
Date: 04/18/05

    Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2005 19:05:46 -0600
    To: Clifton Royston <cliftonr@lava.net>, freebsd-security@freebsd.org

    At 03:33 PM 4/12/2005, Clifton Royston wrote:

    > If 5.4 is expected to be an extended-life branch, I would consider
    >moving them up to 5.4 instead, to get a leap on current technology.
    >Has that decision been made yet?

    I have a similar dilemma. Currently, I am building all production
    servers with 4.11. But this means that I can't take advantage of
    AMD64 processors or some other things that are available in 5.x.
    And 5.x does some nice things, such as sandboxing BIND by default.
    Finally, it seems as if CPU manufacturers are rapidly moving toward
    multiple core processors, which need sophisticated SMP to work well.
    So, I'd really like to move to 5.4 when it ships.

    Trouble is, from the reports I'm seeing on the -STABLE list and
    my own experiments, I don't yet know if 5.4 is going to be as
    fast (especially at disk access) or stable as 4.11. (Many of the
    systems I am building will need very fast disk access, because they
    will be used as database servers and caches.) What's more, here we
    are at RC2, and there are still a number of open issues, as shown at

    http://www.freebsd.org/releases/5.4R/todo.html

    So, I am wondering if I should stick with 4.11, favoring fast single
    CPUs over multiprocessor systems, for production machines -- and then
    jump to 6.0 when it's released. Will security fixes be available long
    enough for me to do this if need be?

    --Brett Glass