Re: New entropy source proposal.

From: Pawel Jakub Dawidek (pjd_at_FreeBSD.org)
Date: 03/07/05

    Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2005 21:58:36 +0100
    To: Mark Murray <markm@FreeBSD.ORG>

    On Mon, Mar 07, 2005 at 04:09:48PM +0000, Mark Murray wrote:
    +> Pawel Jakub Dawidek writes:
    +> > The program is very simple, it should be run with two arguments:
    +> >
    +> > % sndtest /dev/dspW 1048576 > rand.data
    +> >
    +> > This command will generate 1MB of random data.
    +>
    +> Er, not very random.

    Are you sure you used /dev/dspW? It give me really good results with my
    sound card.

    You can find sample data at:

            http://people.freebsd.org/~pjd/misc/rand.data

    +> > If people like the idea and someone more skilled than me in this subject
    +> > can review this stuff, we can start to put it into kernel
    +> > "random infrastructure". It could also be implemented as userland daemon
    +> > which writes collected entropy to /dev/random maybe...
    +>
    +> I like the idea, but we need a bit more hardware assistance, I think.

    Of course I don't think it could be used as the only entropy source in
    the system, more like one of few.

    pjd@FreeBSD.org                           http://www.FreeBSD.org

    • Re: Large file with dd and /dev/random ?
      ... >> I'm trying to create an enrypted loopback filesystem, and the directions ... >> I have say to first create a large file of random data with dd using ... Interestingly with find running the dd command completed ...
      (comp.os.linux.security)
    • Re: ZFS + usb in trouble?
      ... On Monday 21 January 2013 22:17:19 Pawel Jakub Dawidek wrote: ... You should try to use some tools to write some random data and read it back ... is very simple and it passes commands directly from CAM to the hardware. ...
      (freebsd-current)