Re: New entropy source proposal.

From: Pawel Jakub Dawidek (pjd_at_FreeBSD.org)
Date: 03/07/05

    Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2005 21:58:36 +0100
    To: Mark Murray <markm@FreeBSD.ORG>

    On Mon, Mar 07, 2005 at 04:09:48PM +0000, Mark Murray wrote:
    +> Pawel Jakub Dawidek writes:
    +> > The program is very simple, it should be run with two arguments:
    +> >
    +> > % sndtest /dev/dspW 1048576 > rand.data
    +> >
    +> > This command will generate 1MB of random data.
    +>
    +> Er, not very random.

    Are you sure you used /dev/dspW? It give me really good results with my
    sound card.

    You can find sample data at:

            http://people.freebsd.org/~pjd/misc/rand.data

    +> > If people like the idea and someone more skilled than me in this subject
    +> > can review this stuff, we can start to put it into kernel
    +> > "random infrastructure". It could also be implemented as userland daemon
    +> > which writes collected entropy to /dev/random maybe...
    +>
    +> I like the idea, but we need a bit more hardware assistance, I think.

    Of course I don't think it could be used as the only entropy source in
    the system, more like one of few.

    pjd@FreeBSD.org                           http://www.FreeBSD.org