Re: odd log mesage...looks serious

estover_at_nativenerds.com
Date: 12/26/04

    Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2004 17:44:44 -0700 (MST)
    To: "Bob Ababurko" <ababurko@adelphia.net>

    Have you run any program such as trafshowor iftop, they make that apear in
    my logs.
    > hello all-
    >
    > and a happy holiday to all you geeks that are in front of the crt!
    >
    > I found these log messages in my logs and I am not sure what some of
    > them signify.
    >
    > Dec 23 19:08:39 smtp kernel: Limiting closed port RST response from 221
    > to 200 packets/sec
    > Dec 23 19:08:40 smtp kernel: Limiting closed port RST response from 241
    > to 200 packets/sec
    > Dec 24 05:32:34 smtp kernel: fxp0: promiscuous mode enabled
    > Dec 24 05:32:49 smtp kernel: fxp0: promiscuous mode disabled
    > Dec 24 05:33:01 smtp kernel: fxp0: promiscuous mode enabled
    > Dec 24 08:18:44 smtp kernel: fxp0: promiscuous mode disabled
    > Dec 24 12:48:57 smtp kernel: Limiting closed port RST response from 201
    > to 200 packets/sec
    >
    > I understand the "Limiting closed port RST response". ....but what are
    > the promiscuous mode enabled and disabled on my NIC? I am not doing
    > this, so who or what is doing this. Or better yet, what does this mean?
    > I have a fear that this one is serious. So what I need is some
    > direction into finding out how this occurs and what I can do to stop it.
    >
    > thanks,
    > Bob

    • Re: CUPS 1.2: doesnt actually print
      ... so I thought I'd use the logs to figure out the problem. ... various packages, etc.) the queued job starts up, but is screwed up. ... ought to be the highest honor and the highest responsibility anyone ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
      (Debian-User)
    • Re: 100% used / file system. Help!
      (Debian-User)
    • time messed up since last kernel update
      ... The new logs are dated 2005. ... ntp setting the clock, the computer thought that it was Dec 31. ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
      (Debian-User)
    • Re: gnome3 mouse issues?
      (Debian-User)
    • Re: How Can I reset xserver xorg to default settings to try and avoid crash and log out after log in
      ... logs out straight after log in, ... To unsubscribe or change subscription options: ... Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines ...
      (Fedora)