Re: chroot-ing users coming in via SSH and/or SFTP?

From: Nigel Houghton (nigel_at_sourcefire.com)
Date: 12/20/04

    Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 15:23:05 -0600
    To: Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>

    On 0, Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org> allegedly wrote:
    > A client wants me to set up a mechanism whereby his customers can drop files
    > securely into directories on his FreeBSD server; he also wants them to be
    > able to retrieve files if needed. The server is already running OpenSSH,
    > and he himself is using Windows clients (TeraTerm and WinSCP) to access it,
    > so the logical thing to do seems to be to have his clients send and receive
    > files via SFTP or SCP.
    >
    > The users depositing files on the server shouldn't be allowed to see what
    > one another are doing or to grope around on the system, so it'd be a good
    > idea to chroot them into home directories, as is commonly done with FTP.
    >
    > However, OpenSSH (or at least FreeBSD's version of it) doesn't seem to have a
    > mechanism that allows users doing SSH, SCP, or SFTP to be chroot-ed into a
    > specific directory. What is the most effective and elegant way to do this? I've
    > seen some crude patches that allow you to put a /. in the home directory specified
    > in /etc/passwd, but these are specific to versions of the "portable" OpenSSH
    > and none of the diffs seem to match FreeBSD's files exactly.
    >
    > --Brett

    Is there something wrong with using the scponly shell for the users?

    It is available in ports and at http://www.sublimation.org/scponly/

    • Re: /home on server
      ... I'd like to store all my users' home directories on a server - one ... I will need to mount /home from that server. ... except that it's an OSX 10.3 machine... ... Windows and MacOSX clients. ...
      (Ubuntu)
    • chroot-ing users coming in via SSH and/or SFTP?
      ... A client wants me to set up a mechanism whereby his customers can drop files ... The server is already running OpenSSH, ... and he himself is using Windows clients to access it, ...
      (FreeBSD-Security)
    • Re: /home on server
      ... I'd like to store all my users' home directories on a server - one ... I will need to mount /home from that server. ... except that it's an OSX 10.3 machine... ... Windows and MacOSX clients. ...
      (Ubuntu)
    • RE: Users Cant Access Documents on Server
      ... Thanks for using the SBS newsgroup. ... As well as we know, if a workstation would not access network shares, then ... Leave the Default Gateway of the internal NIC blank of the server box. ... Clients That Require SMB Signing ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
    • Re: Users Cant Access Documents on Server
      ... my computer to the network on the server. ... Connection Wizard none of the computers were listed. ... The Mac clients can not communicate with the server box. ... > Error Messages When You Open or Copy Network Files on Windows XP SP1 ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)