Is my Apache server running as the root user or not?

From: Jesper Wallin (jesper_at_hackunite.net)
Date: 12/04/04

    Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2004 07:24:27 +0100 (CET)
    To: freebsd-security@freebsd.org

    Heya..

    By reading my /usr/local/etc/apache2/httpd.conf, I can find out that my Apache is
    running as the user "www" and the group "www" .. Yet, when I run sockstat, it tells me
    one of the forks are runned as root and listening on port 80 as well as the other forks
    are runned by www:www.. If I got a lot of users connecting to my server on port 80, will
    thier requests ever be answered by the root fork or the www:www forks?

    --- snip ---
    [root@ninja:~]# sockstat -l4p80
    USER COMMAND PID FD PROTO LOCAL ADDRESS FOREIGN ADDRESS www httpd
         18149 3 tcp4 *:80 *:*
    www httpd 18148 3 tcp4 *:80 *:*
    www httpd 18147 3 tcp4 *:80 *:*
    www httpd 14055 3 tcp4 *:80 *:*
    www httpd 14054 3 tcp4 *:80 *:*
    www httpd 14053 3 tcp4 *:80 *:*
    www httpd 14052 3 tcp4 *:80 *:*
    www httpd 14051 3 tcp4 *:80 *:*
    root httpd 14050 3 tcp4 *:80 *:*
    [root@ninja:~]#
    --- snip ---

    Best regards,
    Jesper Wallin

    • Re: Is my Apache server running as the root user or not?
      ... parent runs as root so that it can attach to port 80. ... port 80, Apache will hand it off to a child process running as www. ... > one of the forks are runned as root and listening on port 80 as well as the other forks ...
      (FreeBSD-Security)
    • Re: Is my Apache server running as the root user or not?
      ... parent runs as root so that it can attach to port 80. ... port 80, Apache will hand it off to a child process running as www. ... > one of the forks are runned as root and listening on port 80 as well as the other forks ...
      (freebsd-questions)
    • Re: Is my Apache server running as the root user or not?
      ... it tells me one of the forks are runned as root ... Process owned by root is the parent process. ... Since you need to be root be able to bind on port 80, ...
      (FreeBSD-Security)
    • Re: Is my Apache server running as the root user or not?
      ... On Sat, 4 Dec 2004, Jesper Wallin wrote: ... > requests ever be answered by the root fork or the www:www forks? ... credential is inheritted by any sockets accepted from a listen socket, ...
      (FreeBSD-Security)
    • Re: Is my Apache server running as the root user or not?
      ... Apache has to be started as root, because it needs to bind to port 80 ... But this process doesn't serve clients, ... > one of the forks are runned as root and listening on port 80 as well as the other forks ...
      (FreeBSD-Security)