Re: ssh security

From: Derek Ragona (derek_at_computinginnovations.com)
Date: 09/25/04

    Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 17:09:05 -0500
    To: Alex de Kruijff <freebsd@akruijff.dds.nl>, Chris Orr <chris@manual-override.net>

    At 04:54 PM 9/24/2004, Alex de Kruijff wrote:
    >On Fri, Sep 24, 2004 at 04:03:04PM -0500, Chris Orr wrote:
    > > When you build openssh, you need to be sure to add the --with-tcp-wrappers
    > > argument when you run the configure script.
    > >
    > > ex: ./configure --with-ssl-dir=../openssl --with-pam --with-tcp-wrappers
    > >
    > > Hopefully this points you in the right direction.
    > >
    > > -chris
    >
    >This is a bit unsual for FreeBSD. If the default with the base system
    >doesn't fith you, the you can use the port system to comile a newer
    >version. cd /usr/porst/.../ssh && make install && make clean
    >
    >--
    >Alex

    I guess I am asking are the tcp wrappers enabled in the default base
    system? If the wrappers are not enabled, do I need to build world with
    some special compile option?

    Or build ssh from the port? If the port is used do I then need to
    reconfigure anything in the system to use the port version instead of the
    base system ssh?

    Thanks for your help.

             -Derek

    • Re: Our aging base system heimdal
      ... Others have mentioned that they have problems using our base system ... and using security/krb5 (security/heimdal is badly ... If you adjust distinfo, pkg-list and the port Makefile, the current ... maybe the h5l.org developers could be cajoled into adding a FreeBSD ...
      (freebsd-current)
    • Re: Problem after installing lprng
      ... > both the lpd(8) from the base system and the lpd from the lprNG port. ... Checking for printcap files '/etc/printcap' ...
      (freebsd-questions)
    • Re: broken openssl on freebsd60
      ... >> install the openssl port or at least they used to. ... > Another user had a similar issue like this with OpenSSL, ... that openssl is per default within the base system, ...
      (freebsd-questions)
    • Re: openssh version
      ... between the base system and the port. ... Since the base system version does not install in the local file system, ... to grasp how freebsd can be benificial over other systems. ...
      (FreeBSD-Security)
    • Re: Sysinstall is still inadequate after all of these years
      ... that the base system should be self-replicating: ... build the distribution with the base install and sources. ... longer update the port without verifying that you didn't just break ... This means updating the port will take longer - ...
      (freebsd-hackers)