Re: sharing /etc/passwd

From: Erick Mechler (emechler_at_techometer.net)
Date: 11/08/01

    Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2001 19:37:36 -0800
    To: dwbear75@gmail.com

    How 'bout PAM? /usr/ports/security/pam_ldap. If you have machines that
    can't do PAM, perhaps NIS is the way to go (assuming, of course, you're
    behind a firewall). You can store login information in LDAP like you want,
    then use a home-grown script to extract the information to a NIS map. Or,
    if you have a Solaris 8 machine lying around, you can cut out the middle
    step and use Sun's NIS server which can backend directly into LDAP.

    Cheers - Erick

    At Wed, Nov 07, 2001 at 07:02:09PM -0700, David Bear said this:
    ::
    :: I need to sync /etc/passwd and /etc/group among multiple machines. I was
    :: thinking ldap would be a good method but am concerned about
    ::
    :: 1) the most secure way to do it
    :: 2) the most stable
    :: 3) things I don't know about this but should...
    ::
    :: any pointers to man pages/docs would be appreciated.
    ::
    ::
    :: with "unsubscribe freebsd-security" in the body of the message

    • Re: sharing /etc/passwd
      ... How 'bout PAM? ... If you have machines that ... then use a home-grown script to extract the information to a NIS map. ... step and use Sun's NIS server which can backend directly into LDAP. ...
      (FreeBSD-Security)
    • Re: OE launches Identity login on boot-up
      ... Are the other machines running the NIS free-trial? ... Homer wrote: ... messages sent to your "main account" going to Inbox folder, ...
    • Re: Networking 2 XP Pro systems w/ crossover cable
      ... running on both machines. ... This has really got me confused.....I have ran the network setup>>wizard on both computers choosing the appropriate settings for each system. ... Computer B has NIS 2003 ... make sure the browser service is running on each computer. ...
    • Re: google and dell
      ... You may even have got used to how awful NIS is. ... but at work we have a virus program scanning all ... viruses then you'd soon be noticed. ... impact on machines with 512, but not much, it makes 256mb machines pretty ...
      (uk.media.tv.misc)
    • Re: Does there exist something like a networked filestorage
      ... number of machines. ... They might use NIS, NIS+, LDAP or something else for name ... BTW, you can have a "default" server for all user homes, and then specify ... etc.) to reside on specific other NFS servers. ...
      (comp.os.linux.networking)