Re: Attacks on ssh port

From: Frankye - ML (listsucker_at_ipv5.net)
Date: 09/18/04

    Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2004 18:37:15 +0200
    To: freebsd-security@freebsd.org

    On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 00:29:55 +1000 (EST)
    Chris Ryan <chrisryanemail@yahoo.com.au> wrote:

    | > I've just moved the public port of the sshd on
    | > another port, quite lame
    | > but at least I'm not bothered by worms :)
    |

    | i believe this has to be one of the simplest ways of
    | stopping incoming ssh attacks.

    Of course, this is just to stop mindless (and quite lame in this case)
    worms to fill my logs. It's almost-nonexistent impact on the complexity of
    the system, and almost all the scans (by worms or people with a
    portscanner) directed to ssh I've ever received are directed to 22 only.
    This, btw, seems to be the case with all the people I've speaked with on
    the subject, so I guess it's a good addition to the usual precautions
    (disallow certain users, do not use passwords and so on, guess everyone
    has a favorite receipt :)

    Frankye

    --
    Frankye Fattarelli               |U| |P| |S|F|
    frankye.DIESPAMMERSDIE@ipv5.net  |R| |S| |Y|I|