Re: Kerberos 5 Security Alert?

From: Daniel Rudy (dr2867_at_pacbell.net)
Date: 09/14/04

    Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 10:04:58 -0700
    To: freebsd-security@freebsd.org

    At about the time of 9/13/2004 3:35 PM, Jeff Aitken stated the following:

    > On Mon, Sep 13, 2004 at 03:07:36PM -0700, Daniel Rudy wrote:
    >
    >>Does FreeBSD use the MIT implementation?
    >

    > No, the system-supplied krb5 bits are from the Heimdal distribution.
    > The MIT distribution is available as a port, but is not part of the
    > base system.
    >

    >>Why wasn't there a FreeBSD security alert for Kerberos 5?
    >

    > I may be wrong, but I think that security alerts are issued only
    > for the base system (i.e., things that are part of FreeBSD proper).
    > Vulnerabilities that affect ports are documented here:
    >
    > http://www.vuxml.org/freebsd/
    >
    > I'm sure someone will correct me if this is wrong.
    >

    > --Jeff

    Ok. Then what is the current production version of FreeBSD? I
    currently have 4.10-p2.

    --
    Daniel Rudy

    • Re: Kerberos 5 Security Alert?
      ... > Does FreeBSD use the MIT implementation? ... the system-supplied krb5 bits are from the Heimdal distribution. ... The MIT distribution is available as a port, but is not part of the ... things that are part of FreeBSD proper). ...
      (FreeBSD-Security)
    • FreeBSD problems and preliminary ways to solve
      ... that they begin migration from FreeBSD to Debian/Ubuntu. ... Ports and packages. ... Base system, closely related with packages. ...
      (freebsd-arch)
    • Re: FreeBSD problems and preliminary ways to solve
      ... that they begin migration from FreeBSD to Debian/Ubuntu. ... inadequate package manager and huge monolithic base system ... I'll accept that the package management could be better and the base ... ports' maintainers to do this - the FreeBSD project just hosts the ...
      (freebsd-arch)
    • Re: Why Clang
      ... FreeBSD, it has zero bearing on FreeBSD itself. ... corporate users, ... base system. ... political reasons that i don't share (i mean this stupid obsession of ...
      (freebsd-questions)
    • Re: Added native socks support to libc in FreeBSD 7
      ... As far as putting the code in the base FreeBSD, ... Continue to adhere to RFCs and grow your user base, ... For things to go into the base system ... ... (which you can gain by getting a large user base in ports). ...
      (freebsd-net)