Re: Root users shell == no existant shell /bin/bash

From: Matt Piechota (piechota_at_argolis.org)
Date: 07/09/04

    Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2004 15:18:49 -0400 (EDT)
    To: Roger Marquis <marquis@roble.com>

    On Fri, 9 Jul 2004, Roger Marquis wrote:

    > Where do people come up with these folk "rules"? I spend all day
    > working in various root shells as part of my job. Couldn't do it
    > otherwise.

    It depends on what type of work you're doing, I suppose. The idea is you
    should only use root for things that are absolutely necessary. In theory,
    you should read man pages, investigate everything, and pull up a second
    shell as root just it issue commands with it. The reasoning is if there's
    a bug in a program (like man, or lynx, netscape) you could hose the whole
    system up if you're root (or get it infected). On the less paranoid side,
    a mistype as root could have rather bad consequences.

    --
    Matt Piechota

    • Re: [opensuse] Re: insmod a TV card
      ... People who cannot fiddle around in root shells will definitely get the ... impression of a major issue going down when their supported and functional tv ... card stops working after an online update. ...
      (SuSE)
    • Re: Bonehead Move, noexec
      ... If that runaway process isn't running as root, it won't hose your system anyway due to the 5% default ext2/3 root-only reservation. ... It's broken even if the filesystem has an artificial limit. ...
      (Fedora)