Re: Root users shell == no existant shell /bin/bash

From: Simon L. Nielsen (simon_at_FreeBSD.org)
Date: 07/08/04

    Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2004 21:52:25 +0200
    To: Fernando Schapachnik <fernando@mecon.gov.ar>

    [Please don't top post...]

    On 2004.07.08 12:55:19 -0300, Fernando Schapachnik wrote:
    > En un mensaje anterior, Brandon Grace escribió:
    > > For some reason su -c relates to "class" not "command" as in linux. I know
    > > about the booting into single user mode also. This happends to be the
    > > primary dns server and our secondary doesn't have the capacity to handle all
    > > the queries. Any other suggestions?
    >
    > Looks like a bug in the man page:
    >
    > su - root -c id
    > Password: ********
    > uid=0(root) gid=0(wheel) groups=0(wheel), 2(kmem), 3(sys), 4(tty), 5(operator),
    > 20(staff), 31(guest)

    No the manual page is correct; what's happening here is that su
    handles the "- root" arguments, and "-c id" is being passed to root's
    login shell where -c tells the shell to run the rest of the arguments
    as run commands. That is, at least the behavior of -c both for sh and
    tcsh.

    --
    Simon L. Nielsen
    FreeBSD Documentation Team