Re: Root users shell == no existant shell /bin/bash

From: Peter Pentchev (roam_at_ringlet.net)
Date: 07/08/04

    Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2004 18:47:53 +0300
    To: Brandon Grace <brandon.grace@ntscom.com>

    On Thu, Jul 08, 2004 at 10:29:58AM -0500, Brandon Grace wrote:
    > I made a mistake setting my shell and have set the root users shell to
    > /bin/bash instead of /bin/sh. I am curiuos if anyone knows how to fix this.
    > The machines is FreeBSD 4.8-RELEASE-p4 and does not have sudo only su.

    Reboot the machine in single-user mode - press Space or anything but
    Enter at the spinning loader prompt, then type 'boot -s'. After that,
    mount the rest of the filesystems (if necessary) by 'mount -a', run
    'vipw' (or 'chsh -s /bin/sh root' directly) and fix your mistake.

    I think this was documented somewhere in the FAQ or the Handbook, but
    right now I can't find it.

    G'luck,
    Peter

    --
    Peter Pentchev	roam@ringlet.net    roam@sbnd.net    roam@FreeBSD.org
    If wishes were fishes, the antecedent of this conditional would be true.