Re: Root users shell == no existant shell /bin/bash

From: Avleen Vig (lists-freebsd_at_silverwraith.com)
Date: 07/08/04

    Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2004 08:45:48 -0700
    To: Brandon Grace <brandon.grace@ntscom.com>

    On Thu, Jul 08, 2004 at 10:29:58AM -0500, Brandon Grace wrote:
    > I made a mistake setting my shell and have set the root users shell to
    > /bin/bash instead of /bin/sh. I am curiuos if anyone knows how to fix this.
    > The machines is FreeBSD 4.8-RELEASE-p4 and does not have sudo only su.

    Two ways.
    su -m root will su to root but keep you currect shell etc.
    boot into single user mode, and then change it.

    --
    Avleen Vig
    Systems Administrator

    • Re: hi all..
      ... and someone gets access your shell account, ... Only root can install an su binary. ... Of course, if I have sudo ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: Kmail offline
      ... GUI sessions as root? ... I will not help you with problems running GUI as root. ... That was a straight copy paste from the shell it ran from. ... checking I could get it to do said the install was all right. ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: csh as default root Shell
      ... Another source is the the FreeBSD Handbook that is available ... As for changing the root shell, it is probably not a good idea. ... Put the new root account you created farther down in the passwd file ...
      (freebsd-questions)
    • Re: "No Shell"
      ... There is simply no need to login as root - ever, ... > you don't have to guard(and spread) root's password anymore. ... And change the shell or whatever it s/he just well damn ... Other than that nothing else should depend on root shell, ...
      (comp.unix.admin)
    • Re: How to add dir to path
      ... Session 1: ~/scripts YES ... If you set an environment in a shell, ... you're logging in as root, then it is sourced as root, if you are ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
      (Debian-User)