Re: nmap not scanning networks?

From: Charles Swiger (cswiger_at_mac.com)
Date: 07/07/04

    Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2004 15:46:18 -0400
    To: David Gilbert <dgilbert@dclg.ca>

    On Jun 18, 2004, at 10:54 AM, David Gilbert wrote:
    > Zoran> Have you tried without "'"? Or 172.19.17.1-254? Nmap works
    > Zoran> for me. Maybe port 21?
    >
    > I've noticed that nmap on FreeBSD is particularly lame at scanning the
    > local network. If the majority of the addresses on the local network
    > are unoccupied, then it will pause with a 'no buffer space available'
    > message and pause for 15 or 20 seconds each.

    I believe Oliver (the port's maintainter) looked into this issue and
    found a fix, try updating to the latest nmap port and see whether it
    does better now...

    --
    -Chuck

    • Re: Open ports?
      ... to work out how one knows whether a port is open on the local network ... only or actually open to the internet ... Also nmap shows lots: ...
      (comp.sys.mac.system)
    • Re: FreeBSD 6.2 and Nmap
      ... I have trying to conduct port scans on ... machines on my local network, ... I get the same issue from nmap on 6.2. ... the problem persists in nmap 4.21 Alpha. ...
      (comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc)
    • Re: Open ports?
      ... to work out how one knows whether a port is open on the local network ... only or actually open to the internet ... Also nmap shows lots: ...
      (comp.sys.mac.system)
    • Re: FreeBSD 6.2 and Nmap
      ... I have trying to conduct port scans on ... machines on my local network, ... I get the same issue from nmap on 6.2. ... No firewalls on the machines. ...
      (comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc)
    • Re: Random unprivileged TCP ports below 5000 kind-of open for a fraction of a second
      ... When Nmap (or many ... > other applications, such as Telnet) does a connectcall, the OS is ... > supposed to choose a good souce port to bind to for the connection. ... I saw a familiar "Connection reset by peer" every time the random port ...
      (Incidents)