Re: syslogd(8) Dropping Privs

From: Neo-Vortex (root_at_Neo-Vortex.Ath.Cx)
Date: 06/05/04

    Date: Sat, 5 Jun 2004 08:48:58 +1000 (EST)
    To: "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@freebsd.org>

    On Fri, 4 Jun 2004, Crist J. Clark wrote:

    > We haven't had many syslogd(8) vulnerabilities lately, but one
    > less daemon running as root seems like a Good Thing. I do not
    > see any drawbacks from a security point of view.
    I agree there, the less, the better :)

    ~Neo-Vortex

    • Re: syslogd(8) Dropping Privs
      ... >less daemon running as root seems like a Good Thing. ... One consideration is that if syslogd is not running as root, ... On systems where non-root users can write to the filesystem ...
      (FreeBSD-Security)
    • Re: Running one Python program from another as a different user
      ... I have a daemon running as root and I want to ... > execute another Python program as another user. ... > the launched program is graphical in nature, ...
      (comp.lang.python)
    • Re: syslogd(8) Dropping Privs
      ... >>less daemon running as root seems like a Good Thing. ... > it will no longer be able to write to a filesystem which is ... syslogd with disk space. ...
      (FreeBSD-Security)
    • Re: This also happened to me, easy to fix...
      ... > David Kirk wrote a bunch of stuff: ... > password and your terminal session will now have root privileges. ... exactly the same drawbacks no matter how you do it. ... does not execute the root login profile, ...
      (comp.os.linux.setup)
    • Re: ECC point compression trick
      ... clark writes: ... They are also both the positive square roots of 2 under ... deterministic process to determine which is the "positive root". ...
      (sci.crypt)