Re: How do fix a good solution against spam..

From: James Stephenson (jstephen_at_gwds.net)
Date: 05/13/04

    To: z3l3zt@hackunite.net, freebsd-security@freebsd.org
    Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 08:46:40 -0400

    On Wed, 2004-05-12 at 21:00, Jesper Wallin wrote:

    > I've checked the configuration file for SpamAssassin, but yet I havn't find any good
    > solution for spam.. Sure, spam will always be a problem and I guess it's impossible to
    > filter 100% of all spam..

    Jesper:

    I recently switched from SpamAssassin to an open source program called
    DSPAM (http://www.nuclearelephant.com/projects/dspam/). It works
    differently than SpamAssassin in that it processes each message that
    comes in and creates a DSPAM Signature, which it puts in the header of
    each e-mail, along with headers specifying whether it thought the e-mail
    was spam or innocent, and the spam probability of the e-mail. DSPAM
    starts off without filtering out anything, but the way it works is
    through "training." You set up an e-mail alias for all your spam and
    false positives on your server, and you forward spam that wasn't marked
    as spam to the spam alias, the same for false positives. DSPAM then
    checks the e-mail for any existing DSPAM signature, matches it against a
    database, and records what you marked it as. It then uses the Bayes
    algorithm of probability to detect any incoming e-mail's likeliness of
    being considered spam based on your habits of marking spam.

    It works extremely well, but it takes a while to train. I've had mine
    up for three days now, and it is increasing in accuracy with each day.
    You just have to make sure that you forward all your e-mails to the spam
    alias when you receive them, and all false positives as well, or else it
    will be worthless. Check out the web site, maybe it will help explain
    it a bit more. One note - the documentation is not that good, so set up
    could be a bit of a hassle.

    James Stephenson

    • RE: Getting a new server
      ... Subject: Getting a new server ... spamassassin can EASILY be set up to allow the users ... I just feed all my spam in and my ... dspam makes it so rediculously easy for both POP and IMAP ...
      (freebsd-questions)
    • Re: [Full-Disclosure] Spam with PGP
      ... Heuristic filters are based on a set of static rules which identify ... DSPAM and SpamAssassin. ... individual characteristics of spam. ...
      (Full-Disclosure)
    • Re[2]: SpamAssassian with FreeBSD and Big Mail Server
      ... >> filtering methods in dspam are miles ahead spamassassin`s (spamassassin ... >> better but the dspam mailinglist is quite helpful if you got questions. ... > runs a day or two but soon a spam wave comes in message delivery time grows ... > spamassassin on the other side with good rules maintanance is hitting fine, ...
      (freebsd-isp)
    • Re: DSPAM and Sendmail
      ... to DSPAM. ... Secondly a lot of SPAM ... I thought I would be smart and set the delivery agent ... sendmail process that can do both external delivery to another email server ...
      (freebsd-isp)
    • Re: SpamAssassian with FreeBSD and Big Mail Server
      ... >> I would like to try dspam as well as I am using spamassassin, ... I tried several different setups of Dspam and on small test servers 100 users ... runs a day or two but soon a spam wave comes in message delivery time grows ...
      (freebsd-isp)