Re: recommended SSL-friendly crypto accelerator

From: Mike Tancsa (mike_at_sentex.net)
Date: 04/15/04

    Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 23:10:02 -0400
    To: andy@lewman.com, security@freebsd.org

    Someone with the time, knowledge and perhaps funding to fix it. It would be
    nice too if someone with a Soekris 1401 or 7556 based card on FreeBSD or
    OpenBSD could duplicate my results just to confirm its not a bad batch of 3
    cards that I have

             ---Mike

    At 11:03 PM 14/04/2004, andy@lewman.com wrote:
    >Ok, so what exactly needs to be done to get full hifn support working in
    >4.x/5.x?
    >
    >I seem to have lost the original train of thought here.
    >
    >-Andrew
    >
    >On Tue, Apr 13, 2004 at 02:19:43PM -0400, mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org
    >wrote 1.5K bytes in 37 lines about:
    >: On Thu, Apr 08, 2004 at 05:18:33PM +0200, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
    >: > In message
    ><20040408144322.GA83448@bewilderbeast.blackhelicopters.org>, "Michae
    >: > l W. Lucas" writes:
    >: > >On Thu, Apr 08, 2004 at 04:28:37PM +0200, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
    >: > >> >>Look at VPN14x1 from www.soekris.com, it's darn cheap too.
    >: > >
    >: > >Thanks, phk!
    >: > >
    >: > >For $79, it's cheap enough that I could put a whole stack of them in a
    >: > >machine. Can FreeBSD take advantage of multiple cards like that?
    >: >
    >: > I think so, but I am not sure the code currently does load-sharing
    >: > or just "try to find a card which can do this job" sharing.
    >: >
    >: > Maybe sam@ would know, you should probably ask him.
    >:
    >: OK, for the record I asked sam@. He says that the VPN1401 has issues
    >: for (at a minimum) symmetric crypto ops, but he hasn't had time to
    >: investigate and doesn't own a 1401, so...
    >:
    >: He also says that he considers the Broadcom 582x is the best
    >: accelerator available, except that it isn't available retail. :-(
    >:
    >: So, it looks like my choices are rapidly narrowing. It seems that the
    >: powercrypt cards are well-supported, perhaps I'll give them a call.
    >:
    >: ==ml
    >:
    >: --
    >: Michael Lucas mwlucas@FreeBSD.org, mwlucas@BlackHelicopters.org
    >: "I'm sorry, but 'Social Darwinism' is no excuse for killing all of
    >: your co-workers." -- Ivan Brunetti
    >: http://www.BlackHelicopters.org/~mwlucas/
    >: _______________________________________________
    >
    >--

    • Re: Computer Freezing
      ... am for my friend, I really wouldn't give a damn how he ... Reformatted hard disk, clean install of XP, didn't ... Replaced video card, didn't help. ... >> didn't fix it but may have made it a little better. ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)
    • Re: mvsas errors in 2.6.36
      ... after rolling a new 2.6.35 with the following fix that is ... The controller is reporting a phy ready state change, ... In case my card is somehow different than expected, ... There are also two Seagate 7200.12 500G drives hooked up ...
      (Linux-Kernel)
    • Re: Computer Freezing
      ... AMLI:ACPI BIOS is attempting to write to an illegal IO ... Replaced video card, didn't help. ... >> didn't fix it but may have made it a little better. ... >> disabled or because it has no enabled devices ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)
    • Re: Computer Freezing
      ... machine was not tested with XP so BIOS may not work. ... didn't fix it. ... Reformatted hard disk, clean install of XP, didn't ... Replaced video card, didn't help. ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)
    • Re: mvsas errors in 2.6.36
      ... The system has a 750w decent quality Antec power supply. ... after rolling a new 2.6.35 with the following fix that is ... In case my card is somehow different than expected, ... There are also two Seagate 7200.12 500G drives hooked up to the motherboard ...
      (Linux-Kernel)