Security branch lifetime changes

From: Jacques A. Vidrine (nectar_at_freebsd.org)
Date: 04/03/04

    Date: Sat, 3 Apr 2004 09:34:37 -0600
    To: freebsd-security@freebsd.org

    Hi Folks,

    I have extended the lifetime of the RELENG_4_8 security branch, and of
    security branches in general:

      ----- Forwarded message from Jacques Vidrine <nectar@FreeBSD.org> -----
      Date: Sat, 3 Apr 2004 07:23:54 -0800 (PST)
      From: Jacques Vidrine <nectar@FreeBSD.org>
      To: doc-committers@FreeBSD.org, cvs-doc@FreeBSD.org, cvs-all@FreeBSD.org
      Subject: cvs commit: www/en/security security.sgml

      nectar 2004/04/03 07:23:54 PST

        FreeBSD doc repository

        Modified files:
          en/security security.sgml
        Log:
        Add text explaining new guidelines for the lifetimes of security
        branches. `Early adopter' branches will be supported 6+ months,
        `Normal' branches will be supported 12+ months, and `Extended'
        branches will be supported 24+ months.

        Mark RELENG_4_8 as an `Extended' support branch and extend its
        Estimated EoL accordingly.

        While here, also extend RELENG_5_2 through the end of 2004.

        (I was reminded that RELENG_4_8 had expired a few days ago by
        cperciva@.)

        Revision Changes Path
        1.152 +38 -16 www/en/security/security.sgml
      ----- End forwarded message -----

    You may also find an excerpt from the updated
    http://www.freebsd.org/security/ page below the signature of this
    message.

    Cheers,

    --
    Jacques Vidrine / nectar@celabo.org / jvidrine@verio.net / nectar@freebsd.org
    Each branch is supported by the Security Officer for a limited time only, and
    is designated as one of `Early adopter', `Normal', or `Extended'. The
    designation is used as a guideline for determining the lifetime of the branch
    as follows.
    Early adopter
        Releases which are published from the -CURRENT branch will be supported by
        the Security Officer for a minimum of 6 months after the release.
    Normal
        Releases which are published from the -STABLE branch will be supported by
        the Security Officer for a minimum of 12 months after the release.
    Extended
        Selected releases will be supported by the Security Officer for a minimum
        of 24 months after the release.
    The current designation and estimated lifetimes of the currently supported
    branches are given below. The Estimated EoL (end-of-life) column gives the
    earliest date on which that branch is likely to be dropped. Please note that
    these dates may be extended into the future, but only extenuating circumstances
    would lead to a branch's support being dropped earlier than the date listed.
    |  Branch  |   Release   |    Type     |  Estimated EoL  |
    |RELENG_4  |n/a          |n/a          |March 31, 2005   |
    |RELENG_4_8|4.8-RELEASE  |Extended     |March 31, 2005   |
    |RELENG_5_2|5.2.1-RELEASE|Early adopter|December 31, 2004|
    |RELENG_4_9|4.9-RELEASE  |Normal       |October 31, 2004 |