Re: Call for review: restricted hardlinks.

From: Pawel Jakub Dawidek (pjd_at_FreeBSD.org)
Date: 03/09/04

    Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2004 10:23:09 +0100
    To: CÚdric Devillers <cedric.devillers@script.jussieu.fr>

    On Tue, Mar 09, 2004 at 09:16:39AM +0100, CÚdric Devillers wrote:
    +> If you create several partition ( /var /usr /home ), this problem is
    +> resolved. Generally, in /usr, there are no directory write-able for all.
    +> If you have a partition for /usr, no hard link to a set-uid binary ( in
    +> the /usr tree ) is possible.

    Believe me, I'm aware of this.
    This "issue" can be used to other purposes as well.

            % ln /home/<user>/important_file ~/i_cannot_read_it_now_but_maybe_some_day_i_will_compromise_this_machine

    Anyway, it is turned off by default and there is no need to use it at all.

    --
    Pawel Jakub Dawidek                       http://www.FreeBSD.org
    pjd@FreeBSD.org                           http://garage.freebsd.pl