Re: tripwire port broken?

From: Cy Schubert (Cy.Schubert_at_komquats.com)
Date: 03/04/04

    To: freebsd-security@freebsd.org
    Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2004 04:29:34 -0800

    In message <20040304114118.GA49636@xor.obsecurity.org>, Kris Kennaway
    writes:
    > On Thu, Mar 04, 2004 at 08:44:42AM +0100, Zoran Kolic wrote:
    > > Dear list!
    > > I've tried to compile
    > > tripwire-2.3.1-2 port on
    > > my 5.2 release. Two diffe-
    > > rent tarballs have failed
    > > with message, that port
    > > was broken, all in one
    > > sentence. No any details.
    > > Well! Makefile has so-
    > > mething like:
    > >=20
    > > .if ${OSVERSION} >=3D 500000
    > > BROKEN=3D "Fails to build inder 5.X"
    > > .endif
    > >=20
    > > One more:
    > >=20
    > > USE_GMAKE=3D yes
    > >=20
    > > Has someone compiled
    > > it successfully? Is it
    > > for a good reason to be
    > > like that on 5.x?
    >
    > The makefile says the port is broken and fails to build under 5.x
    > because, predictably, the port is broken and fails to build under 5.x
    > ;-)
    >
    > It requires changes in order to compile, which no-one has provided
    > yet.

    The problem is due to STLport incompatibilities. The tripwire folks state
    in their doc that STLport at the time was a moving target, so they included
    a copy frozen in time in their software. Unfortunately it fails to build
    under -CURRENT. Using STLport in ports doesn't work either because of the
    issues they mention in their README. Quite short sighted on their part,
    however as I've been a software developer for commercial software in a
    previous life, I can understand management's reasons for doing what they do
    (the old 80/20 rule to get product out the door quickly to generate
    revenue). I'm working on a patch.

    Cheers,

    --
    Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert@komquats.com>        http://www.komquats.com/
    BC Government                     .                       FreeBSD UNIX