Re: FBSD All-in-one security box?

From: G. Panula (greg.panula_at_lexisnexis.com)
Date: 11/06/03

    Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2003 05:44:57 -0600
    To: freebsd-security@freebsd.org

    twig les wrote:
    > Hey *, as I sweat through another day of crap dealing with an
    > all-in-one box (firewall, IDS, AVS, report generating, soon to
    > be a VPN server) I'm wondering if someone has started a project
    > to put some freeware together in some semblance of sanity on a
    > FBSD box. There's basically nothing that this box does that a
    > combo of IPFW (or another bsd filter), snort, ntop, and some
    > other freeware stuff can't do.
    >
    > As usual the problems I face stem from feature-overload, since
    > the vendor has one crappy feature and then adds another crappy
    > feature instead of fixing the first one so they can market the
    > box better. I'm thinking that since the tools I mentioned are
    > already fairly mature and robust, all that's needed is some
    > sewing and, when core functionality is achieved, a GUI.
    >
    > This sounds like a fun project IMO, but I don't want to
    > re-invent the wheel, especially when I have no spare time.

    http://www.netboz.net/ is a self-contained bootable cd that provides
    firewall, nat, dns, dhcp and vpn(in beta currently). Just need a floppy
    to write configs to and you're off&running. yup, its fbsd based.

    I've only played with it a little, but it was solid enough. I think it
    is just missing IDS&AVS from your wishlist above. Online demo available
    at: https://demo.netboz.net/

    greg

    • Re: FBSD All-in-one security box?
      ... > the vendor has one crappy feature and then adds another crappy ... > Protect your identity with Yahoo! ... Mail AddressGuard ...
      (FreeBSD-Security)
    • FBSD All-in-one security box?
      ... the vendor has one crappy feature and then adds another crappy ... Protect your identity with Yahoo! ... Mail AddressGuard ...
      (FreeBSD-Security)
    • Re: FBSD All-in-one security box?
      ... >other freeware stuff can't do. ... >the vendor has one crappy feature and then adds another crappy ... Kind regards, ...
      (FreeBSD-Security)
    • Re: Very Busy Disc While Idle
      ... No. I'm using AVG 8.5 freeware, and I've disabled that feature. ... Other antimalware scanners, a defragmenter, system housekeeping, ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
    • Re: Place mouse on the middle of a button
      ... I also have had several compliments concerning ... this feature in some of my freeware. ... from the crude replies I ...
      (comp.lang.pascal.delphi.misc)