Re: How to disable XFree86 and wdm listening ports

From: twig les (twigles_at_yahoo.com)
Date: 10/27/03

    Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 14:13:20 -0800 (PST)
    To: Wolfgang Kess <bsdlist@kess.ch>, freebsd-security@freebsd.org

    http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2002/08/08/FreeBSD_Basics.html

    To quote:
    "There are several ways to close this port; I've found the
    easiest is to become the superuser and edit
    /usr/X11R6/bin/startx. Find the serverargs line and change it so
    that it looks like this:

    serverargs="-nolisten tcp"
    Once you've saved your changes, start X as a regular user and
    rerun sockstat -4. If you didn't have any typos, X will start as
    usual, but port 6000 will be missing in your sockstat -4
    output."

    I never run wdm so don't know there.

    --- Wolfgang Kess <bsdlist@kess.ch> wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > what is the right way to disable XFree86 and wdm listening
    > ports tcp 6000 and tcp 1024.
    >
    > I read in man XFree86 about the -nolisten tcp option
    > and tried to set in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm
    >
    > :0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X -nolisten tcp
    >
    > but it was not successful.
    >

    > What is the right way to close the ports without use of IPFW?
    >
    > Your help would be appreciated.
    >
    > Thank´s
    > Wolfgang

    =====

    • Re: ipf / pf availability in 4.9
      ... and my question was how to get a port to 4.9. ... >> of the ipf rules can not process a script. ... >> What's the relationship between the freebsd ipf and the openbsd ... >> To unsubscribe, send any mail to ...
      (freebsd-questions)
    • Re: Base System Rebuild
      ... Ask a search engine why this port is marked ignore. ... I tried portupdate except it ... pkgdb -F wasn't happy I was using pkgng packages. ... To unsubscribe, send any mail to ...
      (freebsd-questions)
    • Re: Base System Rebuild
      ... Ask a search engine why this port is marked ignore. ... I tried portupdate except it ... pkgdb -F wasn't happy I was using pkgng packages. ... To unsubscribe, send any mail to ...
      (freebsd-questions)
    • Re: ssh tunnel delay
      ... I don't see anything strange in the logs provided. ... Not a solution but a very tiny improvement, launch the tunnel with the -C ... Connection to port 1110 forwarding to localhost port 1212 requested. ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
      (Debian-User)
    • Re: How to get Bell Canada 3G USB network up?
      (Debian-User)