Re: Wu-ftpd FTP server contains remotely exploitable off-by-one bug

polytarp_at_cyberspace.org
Date: 07/31/03

    Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 14:40:54 -0400 (EDT)
    To: <jjf@mind.net>

    On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 jjf@mind.net wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I see in BugTraq that there's yet another problem with Wu-ftpd, but I see
    > no mention of it in the freebsd-security mailing list archives...I have
    > searched the indexes from all of June and July.
    >
    > Wu is pretty widely used, so I'm surprised that nobody seems to have
    > mentioned this problem in this forum.
    >
    > The notice on BugTraq mentioned only Linux, not FreeBSD, but that's no
    > reason to assume that FreeBSD machines aren't vulnerable, too. Which is
    > why I am confused as to the lack of discussion of this matter.
    >
    > Can anyone shed some light on this?
    >
    > Thank you,
    >
    > John
    > --

    Buffer overflows which work on Linux do not work on FreeBSD.

    • Wu-ftpd FTP server contains remotely exploitable off-by-one bug
      ... I see in BugTraq that there's yet another problem with Wu-ftpd, ... The notice on BugTraq mentioned only Linux, not FreeBSD, but that's no ... reason to assume that FreeBSD machines aren't vulnerable, ...
      (FreeBSD-Security)
    • Fwd: Freebsd FD exploit
      ... From bugtraq for those of you not on bugtraq. ... >/* Proof Of Concept exploit for the Freebsd file descriptors bug. ... some cases the kernel closes fds 0..2 after they are assigned to /dev/null, ... int main ...
      (FreeBSD-Security)
    • Re: "Correct" permissions on /var/mail?
      ... No, I didn't missed it, along with bugtraq thread. ... I ask you to post correct URL without any ... Bugtraq does not have FreeBSD specifics. ...
      (FreeBSD-Security)
    • Re: Wu-ftpd FTP server contains remotely exploitable off-by-one bug
      ... > I see in BugTraq that there's yet another problem with Wu-ftpd, ... > reason to assume that FreeBSD machines aren't vulnerable, ... If you want to bitch at someone, bitch at the wu-ftpd.org guys for ...
      (FreeBSD-Security)
    • Re: FreeBSD 4.x Opteron Question
      ... the FreeBSD developers told everyone that 5.3 was da ... initially over linux not because there's a bunch of good guys on the ... My tests measure kernel performance; ... > a networking device is a key performance indicator. ...
      (freebsd-questions)