ssh and X11Forwarding

From: Paul Chvostek (
Date: 07/28/03

    Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 02:47:29 -0400

    What has to be installed on a host for it to do X11Forwarding in SSH?

    My (FreeBSD) workstation at home is behind NAT. From home, I can SSH to
    a FreeBSD firewall at work, and from there I can get to other hosts
    around the internal network there, some of which run X clients.

    Does X have to be installed *on the firewall* for me to forward X11
    connections from the X clients back to my workstation at home?

    Thanks. :)

      Paul Chvostek                                             <>
      Operations / Abuse / Whatever
      it.canada, hosting and development

    • Re: Background process
      ... I connect to my freebsd box via ssh using putty from a WindowsXP ... workstation, I want to run a process on the freebsd box, then close my ssh ...
    • Re: SSHD suddenly takes SIX MINUTES to authenticate
      ... >> Suddenly I cannot SSH to one of my FreeBSD servers. ... > a DNS lookup of the special krb5-realm domain. ... If the nameservers setup to host ...
    • Re: OT: X-application over ssh tunnel
      ... Isn't it because host B can't connect to host C directly? ... A was your workstation, apparently that is not the case. ... ProxyCommand ssh -q B nc %h 22 ...
    • Re: Multiple private keys
      ... on my workstation, short of replacing the id_rsa file every time I ... Host A ... Or just use 'ssh -i id_rsa_A A' when you connect. ...
    • Re: renaming of /tmp partition. Any adverse effect on OS
      ... The applications running under FreeBSD consider /home/app as the root ... FreeBSD hosts are being used for running our native applications. ... you are effectively disabling the required permissions on ... one host to check whether everything is fine or not. ...