jail performance questions

From: V. Jones (vjones62_at_earthlink.net)
Date: 07/10/03

    Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 16:48:21 -0400 (EDT)
    To: freebsd-security@freebsd.org

    I'm thinking of using jails to improve security on a server
    I am setting up. Specifically, I would like to put Apache/PHP
    in a jail, but I might like to set up 2-3 different jails for
    different purposes.

    I've found several examples showing how to set the jails up.
    My questions involve system requirements. Assuming plenty of
    disk space, 1GB ram and a dual processor PIII 1.13Ghz system,
    how many jails can I run? Would I notice a significant
    performance hit if, for example, I run three jails?

    • Re: jail performance questions
      ... >> I've found several examples showing how to set the jails up. ... >> My questions involve system requirements. ... > I haven't noticed performance degradation, but my jails aren't doing much. ... > individual processes, so, e.g., if a jail runs just one process, that's the ...
      (FreeBSD-Security)
    • Re: No libc shared lib number bump ?
      ... versioned symbol libraries with the same version number since ... When things like large Xorg or GNOME or KDE changes hit the Ports ... I have 11 of my 12 jails on ... IMAP server, one as a nntp server, one as a samba server, ...). ...
      (freebsd-current)
    • Re: UFS Crash and directories now missing
      ... the one with the jails mounted but every jail ... so I'm guessing it's a logical error in the directory structure or ... Right before the server crashed I noticed MySQL at 100% o several CPUs ...
      (freebsd-questions)
    • Re: 6.8 became very slow
      ... It was running twe driver with RAID 5. ... just copied jails from the prev installation. ... the kernel must be for something else, ... It is a web hosting server ...
      (freebsd-questions)
    • 8.1 broken inter-jail IP communication
      ... The Jails are running a mail server and ldap server, respectively and each has it's own IP ... I was able to ping the mail IP address from the host server and the incomplete entry ...
      (freebsd-questions)