Re: Packet flow through IPFW+IPF+IPNAT ?

From: Brett Glass (brett_at_lariat.org)
Date: 06/01/03

    Date: Sat, 31 May 2003 22:04:24 -0600 (MDT)
    To: duke@irpen.kiev.ua, freebsd-security@freebsd.org

    I don't use IPFW and IPFilter together, but IIRC IPFilter steps between
    everything else (except for bpf) and the interface. Same for IPNAT, which
    integrates with IPFilter.

    Since the advent of pf and altq, OpenBSD has had a better firewall
    architecture than any of the other BSDs, IMHO. pf can do things which are
    awkward in other systems because features were kludged in later.

    I've always thought that it would be cool to be able to integrate firewall
    components into FreeBSD via its unique NetGraph system. This would let you
    filter specific flows of packets very efficiently.

    --Brett