Re: strange connection attempts

From: Crist J. Clark (crist.clark@attbi.com)
Date: 04/14/03

    Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 13:03:25 -0700
    From: "Crist J. Clark" <crist.clark@attbi.com>
    To: GiZmen <gizmen@pals.one.pl>

    On Mon, Apr 14, 2003 at 09:44:31PM +0200, GiZmen wrote:
    [snip]

    > my address is "xxx" and 192.43..... is an expamle address of dns server.
    >
    > I know that dns use an udp protocol but is it normal to have these connection
    > attempts??

    Someone else already explained this. It comes down to: the timeout of
    your DNS application is shorter than the timeout on the firewall. Your
    DNS application sends out a query and waits... and gives up. When it
    give up, it closes the socket. However, the DNS server Out There
    manages to still return a response some time later. Your firewall has
    not timed out the UDP "connection" yet, so the response come
    through. But there is no listening socket anymore, so it gets
    logged_in_vain.

                                       |     cjclark@jhu.edu

    • Re: Urgent! New router and big disaster
      ... Les Connor [SBS Community Member - SBS MVP] ... No DNS Name Resolution If DHCP Client Service Is Not Running ... You have a full-time broadband connection. ... Next I Select a local router device with an ip address. ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
    • Re: CEICW & software updates...
      ... SBS/Windows Server 2003, etc is just not quite UPNP aware the way it ... MVPs do not work for Microsoft ... I'm not getting prompted for an internet connection type. ... DNS server is installed and not disabled Call to Changing ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
    • Re: DNS stopps runinng about once a week
      ... Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection: ... Connection-specific DNS Suffix. ... Microsoft Exchange Information Store ... Remote Access Connection Manager ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.server.dns)
    • Re: Non-domain connection problem
      ... Notice that the default gateway and DNS IP addresses are different, ... as the fact that there is a WINS server listed. ... Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection: ... Again this had no effect on the ability to connect to the internet. ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
    • RE: Internet Speed
      ... I understand that the connection from ... internal clients to Internet is very slow if you configure the clients' DNS ... You have to rerun the CEICW to make sure your SBS 2003 server have right ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)