Re: strange connection attempts

From: Crist J. Clark (
Date: 04/14/03

    Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 13:03:25 -0700
    From: "Crist J. Clark" <>
    To: GiZmen <>

    On Mon, Apr 14, 2003 at 09:44:31PM +0200, GiZmen wrote:

    > my address is "xxx" and 192.43..... is an expamle address of dns server.
    > I know that dns use an udp protocol but is it normal to have these connection
    > attempts??

    Someone else already explained this. It comes down to: the timeout of
    your DNS application is shorter than the timeout on the firewall. Your
    DNS application sends out a query and waits... and gives up. When it
    give up, it closes the socket. However, the DNS server Out There
    manages to still return a response some time later. Your firewall has
    not timed out the UDP "connection" yet, so the response come
    through. But there is no listening socket anymore, so it gets

    Crist J. Clark                     |
                                       |    |