Re: your mail

From: David Schultz (dschultz@uclink.Berkeley.EDU)
Date: 01/21/03

Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 16:51:08 -0800
From: David Schultz <dschultz@uclink.Berkeley.EDU>
To: Anthony Schneider <anthony@x-anthony.com>

Thus spake Anthony Schneider <anthony@x-anthony.com>:
> statically linked? is /sbin/nologin not a shell script anymore?

Sorry, I was thinking of OpenBSD, in which /sbin/nologin is a
shell script. In the FreeBSD version, you are probably safe from
environment poisoning attacks provided that your /bin/sh is
statically linked. It would be safer to use /usr/bin/false or a
simple C program, though, since a lot in libc depends on the
environment.

  • Re: sysconf -- a sysctl(8)-like utility for managing /etc/rc.conf et. al.
    ... I'd like to share a shell script that I wrote for FreeBSD system ... The attached shell script works similar to sysctl, ... $ which augtool ... Not as a binary package nor could I find it in the ports tree. ...
    (freebsd-hackers)
  • Re: Password Encryption Blues
    ... > I have spent almost a week on and off trying to convert a plain text Unix ... > password file to ... > I understand the 3 extra fields required by FreeBSD and can convert ... > Would like to run a shell script to convert. ...
    (comp.security.unix)
  • Re: Password Encryption Blues
    ... > I have spent almost a week on and off trying to convert a plain text Unix ... > password file to ... > I understand the 3 extra fields required by FreeBSD and can convert ... > Would like to run a shell script to convert. ...
    (comp.security.unix)
  • Re: LDAP and Linux compatibility
    ... In /etc/profile I'm calling a shell script called inituser.sh. ... With this in play, FreeBSD is properly ... For your case with LDAP, I suspect you would need to ... NIS is a built in feature of both FreeBSD and Linux. ...
    (FreeBSD-Security)
  • Re: NFS, FreeBSD, lock and SVN
    ... After replacing Michel Talon with a small shell script on Sunday 04 Dec 2005 ... the following appeared on stdout: ... on the philosophy that if something is worth doing, ... FreeBSD to change from being faithful to the standard. ...
    (comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc)