Re: Unix Password Expiration Questions

From: Mike Hoskins (mike@adept.org)
Date: 01/10/03

Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 14:37:46 -0800 (PST)
From: Mike Hoskins <mike@adept.org>
To: security@freebsd.org

On Tue, 7 Jan 2003, Robinson, Rick wrote:
> :passwordtime=90d:\
> :warnpassword=5d:\
> And now the passwords expire if they haven't been changed after 90 days.
> However I have a couple of questions. Right now once your password is
> expired the system doesn't force you to change your password to a different
> password.

Most places I've seen do this using a 3rd party utility. These include
passwd+, npasswd or epasswd. Here's a NASA article on epasswd, with
references (URLs) to the other packages as well,

http://www.nas.nasa.gov/Groups/Security/epasswd/article.html

--
Mike Hoskins		This message is RFC 1855 compliant,
mike@adept.org		www.adept.org/pub/rfcs/rfc1855.html